Tuesday, January 24, 2012

HTML5 + CSS3 + jQuery = Yummy Developer Goodness

I've been doing web development for way longer than I care to admit, and in the olden days HTML was quite the mess. It seemed like more things worked differently on the browsers of that era than worked the same, and I absolutely loathed that crap. If it weren't for the overwhelming allure of getting stuff out there on the web, I wouldn't have stuck with it this long. :)

HTML5 has been a long time coming, that's for sure. Now things are so much more standardized, and work mostly the same on FireFox/Chrome/Safari, although you have to ignore Internet Explorer - and believe me, that is something I try to do every day. HTML5 and CSS3 have all kinds of goodies that I'll be using on Chess Juice, cool stuff like Web Workers (threads in Javascript at last!), better page layout abilities (Flex Box!), and of course enough css/javascript effects to choke an elephant.

One feature I won't be using is Canvas. It's really tempting, but just seems like overkill for this app. It is so easy to use jQuery to manipulate the DOM in a very efficient manner that I just can't see the benefit in investing my time to learn the Canvas API on top of everything else I have to do for Chess Juice.

If you're a developer and you're on the fence on HTML5, jump over that fence and romp though the lush fields of HTML5 today! It is clearly the future of the web, so don't get left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment